15th Mar, 2016
- The normal blood pressure is less than 120/80. High blood pressure is 140/90 or higher. If your blood pressure is between 120/80 and 140/90, you have what is called prehypertension, which means that if you don’t take important steps, your blood pressure can turn into high blood pressure.
- Globally, nearly one billion people have high blood pressure (hypertension); of these, two-thirds are in developing countries.
- The number of Nigerians living with high blood pressure is estimated at about 56 million 2
- In Nigeria, 46% of adults aged 25 and above are suffering from hypertension 1.
- High blood pressure is called the “silent killer" because it often has no warning signs or symptoms, and many people do not realize they have it. It is usually discovered at a doctor’s visit when the doctor is taking a routine blood pressure reading using the cuff. Symptoms in the later stages include dizziness, headaches, and nose bleeds.
- Hypertension is one of the most important causes of premature death worldwide and the problem is growing; in 2025, an estimated 1.56 billion adults will be living with hypertension. 1
- Globally, hypertension is the leading cause of stroke.
- People with hypertension are most likely to develop complications of Diabetes.
- Excessive alcohol consumption (yes alcohol again!) is a cause of hypertension especially in the young.
Are you an adult? When last did you check your blood pressure? Please get it checked today!!!
Have you been diagnosed with Hypertension, have a free private chat with our Doctors today!!!
Follow us on
- Twitter: @hidoctorng
- Instagram: hidoctorng.
- Facebook page: hidoctorng
Image Credit: Internet
- World Health Organization.
2.Nigerian Medical Association.