17th Mar, 2016
I was recently on call and it was not a busy night, so I decided to catch up on some reading in a seminar room. I bumped into this lovely lady I have been crushing on. She was reading but later slept off. Looking at her sleep was pure heaven. Her face was angelic in sleep, my imagination was in overdrive. I imagined waking up every day to this lovely face. It was not 10 minutes, when this sound, very low initially filled the seminar room but took a life of its own in no time. A very harsh sound, it was irritating and distracting. Needless to say I woke up from my daydream of waking up to her angelic face. The snore was a major turn off.
Snoring is a medical condition in which an individual who is asleep produces noisy sound as a result of obstruction in the respiratory tract. It can have significant psychological and social distress on the person, like my crush probably missed out on dating a great guy.
People that snore suffer from sleep deprivation and so would want a day time compensatory sleep. Sleeping on the job is a sure way of getting sacked.
The causes vary from individuals as well as the severity. Common causes include
- Physical exhaustion,
- Alcohol consumption
- Cigarette smoking
- Sleeping position: sleeping on your back, there is a tendency your tongue will fall back and obstruct your breathing.
- Others can be symptom of a medical condition known as obstructive sleep apnea. It is a severe form of snoring. Nasal congestion or any form of obstruction along the airway will cause snoring.
- Sleeping position: About 50% of people that snore will get better once they change their sleeping position. So, sleep on your side and your tongue won’t fall back to prevent good flow of air.
- Lose weight: if your body mass index in more in the overweight (<25) and or obesity (<30) range, you need to start shedding some weight!
- Cut down on alcohol consumption and smoking cigarette.
In effect, the first step is life style modification.
- If all these don’t help, there are over the counter anti snoring nasal sprays and devices. The nasal spray will open up the nostrils and humidify the air to facilitate easy breathing. Oral devices like sonorous when used will move the tongue forward by few millimeters while asleep.
- In some cases that these method fails, surgical intervention may be appropriate.
Follow us on
- Twitter: @hidoctorng
- Instagram: hidoctorng.
- Facebook page: hidoctorng
- BBM Channel: C0021B035 / Hidoctor
Image Credit: Internet.